Known for the excellent standard of care we provide, NorthShore University HeathSystem continually invests in better ways to deliver whats next. When you work for NorthShore, you will be part of an organization that encourages its employees to achieve career goals and maximize their professional potential.
We are currently seeking a Chief Nursing Officer for NorthShore University HealthSystem (CNO). In this system role, reporting directly to the Chief Clinical Operating Officer (CCOO), you will be an active member of the senior executive leadership team. This position establishes, administers and is accountable for the overall direction of nursing services. The position provides clinical and programmatic direction while achieving quality and efficiencies in clinical care. NorthShore is seeking an energetic individual who has a track record of developing strong relationships while advancing nursing excellence through continuous improvement and a focus on superior quality and experience outcomes.
The Chief Nursing Officer participates in the development of the clinical strategic plan and is accountable for the service excellence culture. The highly visible CNO will oversee, guide and mentor the entire nursing staff to ensure positive patient outcomes for the various patient populations we serve. The successful candidate will be a proven leader having held a prior position as a sitting Chief Nurse Officer/Vice President Patient Care Services. This leader will be able to demonstrate that he/she has created a vision, set the course, and held teams in the pursuit of clinical and service excellence.
The CNO will leverage the strengths of nursing to achieve NorthShore’s vision to be “the most trusted and indispensable health partner throughout the communities we serve.” Recognizing the growing importance of value, the CNO will be responsible for balancing quality, experience and cost objectives in the pursuit of excellence. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of achieving or exceeding quality, HCAHP and cost objectives while driving high team member engagement. Recognizing that innovation is essential to success in a dynamic environment, the CNO will design and implement new care models in pursuit of sustainable excellence. He/she will also partner effectively with physician leaders to ensure alignment and collaboration in pursuit of objectives.
In this role, you will:
· Provide leadership and direction for the development of strategies to advance the mission, vision and values of the health care system.
· Assume an active leadership role on the executive leadership team, medical executive committee and safety and quality committees within the health care system.
· Collaborate with senior leaders, physicians, staff and external stakeholders to achieve vision and strategic direction.
· Effectively communicate key information to stakeholders, both internal and external (including government officials, university faculty, regulatory agencies, and the community at large), representing Nursing and the health care system initiatives.
· Determine competencies and number of staff required to provide nursing care for all patient care areas within the health care system.
· Assure that nursing services are integrated and coordinated within the hospital and within the health care system.
· Serve as a role model for leadership and create an environment that recognizes the centrality of employee team members as our greatest resource.
· Lead multidisciplinary teams and committees.
· Represent nursing and the interests of other patient care staff as it relates to Information Technologies (IT) initiatives.
· Create an environment of continuous process and quality improvement.
· Accountable for all aspects of financial performance and growth within areas of responsibility.
· Facilitate annual budget preparation. Monitors compliance to the budget and productivity goals for assigned departments. Directs the identification, analysis and evaluation of resource needs. Ensures the efficient and cost-effective operation of the assigned areas.
· Accountable for promoting a nursing practice environment that has evidenced based practice as the foundation. Facilitates and supports nurses to take responsibility and accountability for standards of practice that strive to meet the mission, vision and values of the health care system.
· Responsible for demonstrating a commitment to a talent-based organization through the selection of top talent, ongoing professional development and coaching or mentor of team members.
· Analyze and evaluates potential internal and external impacts of new services and changes to the delivery system within existing areas to ensure quality, efficient and safe operations.
· Develop and implements the organization’s plans for providing nursing care, including the review and recommendation of nursing staffing plans to ensure sufficient number of qualified nursing staff.
· Maintain a working knowledge of applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, the Corporate Compliance Program, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
· Develop relationships and assists in the recruitment of physicians.
NorthShore University HealthSystem (NorthShore) is a premier integrated healthcare delivery system consistently ranked as a Top 15 Teaching Hospital in the United States.
NorthShore was the first health system in Illinois to achieve Magnet® recognition—the highest, most prestigious honor that demonstrates excellence in nursing and high standards in patient care—something only achieved by 6% of hospitals nationwide. The system earned Magnet redesignation in 2015. NorthShore is comprised of four hospitals – Evanston, Glenbrook, Highland Park and Skokie. The system includes a 950+ physician multispecialty group practice with 130 locations across Chicagoland.
Please explore our website (www.northshore.org) to better understand how NorthShore delivers on its mission "to preserve and improve human life" through superior clinical care, academic excellence and innovative research.
NorthShore is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. Please refer to the main career page for more information.
EOE: Race/Color/Sex/Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Vets, VEVRRA Federal Contractor.
The Chief Nursing Officer will possess the following qualifications and attributes
· A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in IL
· A Bachelors or Master’s degree in Nursing
· A Master’s in Nursing, Business Administration, or related field required
· Specialty certification in a clinical specialty or related field preferred
· A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible clinical and/or administrative leadership experience required
· Experience managing clinical services in a competitive market, enhancing productivity, reducing costs, developing new programs, and improving quality
· Experience leading nurses and being an advocate for nursing required
About NorthShore University HealthSystem
NorthShore University HealthSystem (NorthShore) is a comprehensive, fully integrated, healthcare delivery system that serves the greater North Shore and Illinois communities. NorthShore is committed to earning the loyalty of those who come to us for care and those who play a role in providing that care. Service Values which include: Exceptional Customer Service, Supportive Workplace Interactions and Professional Work Ethic, define the behaviors that each employee demonstrates with co-workers, patients and families, physicians, and visitors.